June 26, 2015 - an historic day in U.S History and for the LGBTQ (A) [Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Questioning/Queer, Ally] community. It is the day that the U.S Supreme Court ruled same-same marriage legal across all 50 States! I must admit, I watched the News that morning with a lump in my throat and the sense that I was witnessing something profound. It has been a long, arduous journey towards gay rights. I am overjoyed.
First, a Word About my Personal Development
I came from a heterosixt, monogamous world. It never dawned on me that I may not be straight. Likewise, my transition to non-monogamy only occurred 4 years ago (I know - It seems longer!). As I became more aware of my sexuality, my sexual preferences, and my style of sexual expression, I realized I was anything but conventional. I was kinky, bisexual, polyamorous, and ready for adventure. I’m still growing and discovering aspects of myself everyday. But, as you can plainly see, I am both a bisexual women (the “B”) and an ally (the “A). I don’t take my freedom today for granted. Many before me have been persecuted and died for their sexuality and relationship status. Yet, today I can openly walk the streets with my partners, claim my sexual pride, and/or openly show personal displays of affection.
What Marriage Equality Means to Me
On November 7th, 2012, the State of Washington approved marriage equality (see my post on attending an amazing Interfaith Forum on this issue). I was living in the Seattle area at the time. I was a year into subscribing to my sex-positive lifestyle, and meeting amazing, open people. I got a job as a marriage equality canvasser around Seattle. To be honest, I got as far as meeting my fellow canvassers. When I realized I’d be walking in communities and into people’s houses on my own I got nervous about my safety. I opted out of the position. But, my perspective changed. The campaign was housed next to Gay City Medical Clinic. I was exposed to the health center. Likewise, I chatted with other canvassers who were passionate about gay rights. They did not know it, but the small interactions with them influenced me greatly. How? I appreciated people's energies for one. Second, it didn't seem fair that WHO you loved determined whether you got the benefits of marriage or not. Many same-sex couples had lived together as domestic partners for years. They considered themselves families. They just did not get the same social security, tax, and health insurance benefits as other married couples! It was kind of outrageous! I spent the next year or so heading back to Gay City and the coffee shop that adjoined to the health center - just to feel the vibe and remember the importance of that moment in time.
An Issues That is, Both, Legal, and Personal
Hubby reminded me the other day that, technically, Marriage Equality is a legal issue. Now that same-sex marriage is recognized nationwide, our government recognizes same-sex unions as marriages and, therefore, offers the Federal benefits of marriage. It is all truthfully very dry. Here is the thing, though. It is more than technical in people's hearts and minds. Marriage equality resonates with people on a deeply emotional level. We all want to feel accepted and included - especially on a societal level. And, no one wants to be judged, legally, or socially, for the people they love.
A change in a system or law does not necessary change people's attitudes. We have come a long in recognizing and honoring LGBTQ (A) rights - well in western modern countries. This does not mean the same is true globally. Neither, is it necessarily true here at home. Well, at least not in every State. Discrimination and prejudice will always be present. We can celebrate these amazing feats, while still recognizing that true change is a slow (and typically a very personal) process.
-- --
Well, yesterday I attended the "Pride Festival" in San Francisco with my partners. At the heels of the Supreme Court's decision, it felt like an amazing moment. I took in the people, sights, and sounds. Due to circumstances, we did not stay for the whole event. But, I felt immense gratitude and pride for being in the middle of the festivities. I love my community. I want to always be a advocate for living your truth. And, I most certainly want to be an advocate for equality. This is a great time to be alive. What more can I say....LOVE WINS!

No comments:
Post a Comment