I accept that you may not think like me
I accept that you may not sound like me
I accept that you may not dress like me
I accept that your path might be different to mine.
How would it be right of me to ask others to celebrate my uniqueness if I can't accept yours? You ARE unique. But, you are also part of a grander culture that may look nothing like mine. Even if we disagree on perspectives, At least we can respect each other for our journeys.
In my life, this is what I've learned about acceptance:
Acceptance is not necessarily agreement. It could be disagreeing but accepting and respecting the other for his/her perspective
Acceptance is not tolerance. Tolerance is a slippery word that suggests that one is putting up with something or someone. (IE. I'll tolerant his whining.). It actually is not born out of respect for another's difference.
Acceptance IS seeing someone as one is without wanting or needing to change one. It is seeing that one has come to one's path through one's own inner wisdom. That makes the path true. That makes it exactly what it is meant to be. No one else has any right, whatsoever, to judge.
.
Tweet
I open my arms in acceptance. By accepting you just as you are, I hope to start to make the world a better place.

Well said. All people are different and unique. We need to acknowledge and respect our differences and accept them as they are.
ReplyDelete"Acceptance IS seeing someone as one is without wanting or needing to change one" - beautifully described!
ReplyDelete