After this wake up call I became an emotional mess! I could not do my work and agreed to end my AmeriCorps VISTA term early. I sprained my right ankle and had to accept asking others for help (this is something that is very hard for me). I had to trust my new friends and new community. The Universe called upon me to bear witness to my imperfections, vulnerabilities, and personal blocks....and love myself anyway. The hardest part was figuratively standing naked and scared in front on my friends, community, family, and fellow co-workers. But, it was necessary self work.
I developed greater insights about the nature of compassion once I attended more groups that promoted intimacy and deeper human connections. In these groups we would sit in pairs and be asked to face each other and just listen to the other person's story. Direct eye contact was important. Likewise, quietly listen without paraphrasing or interrupting was essential. I had a difficult time with this. The counselor part of me learned to paraphrase and reflect back what I was hearing from someone. But, here I was just sitting still with great presence. I saw how this actually empowered the other person. And, I felt genuine compassion and gratitude upon witnessing how my partner opened up about fears, hopes, and transitions, among other things. There was a sense of liberation at just being present. It reminded me that we are all interconnected. We can often relate to each others' life stories. I felt Enlightened.
I see now how compassion is the bridge to the human condition. We are not isolated and alone as we often think. We can create a greater shared meaning. But, we need to be willing to show up with our vulnerability. It reminds me of a Brene Brown quote:
"Daring greatly means the courage to be vulnerable."
I think the trick is learning who you can trust with your vulnerability. Not everyone or every situation fits the bill. One way or the other, however, compassion, empathy, and wholeheartedness is necessary to feel the true human connection we all yearn for.
Tweet
I am growing everyday in compassion, acceptance, and wisdom.
No comments:
Post a Comment