Saturday, June 6, 2015

Musings About Participating [Thus Far] in #1000Speaks...

[Touched by Lizzie’s Rogers post (of "Considerings: Life in Silver Lining), The 1000 Voices Speak for Compassion movement was born when blogger and author Yvonne Spence organized over 1000 bloggers to post about compassion in one epic event on February 20, 2015.  The response was so great that it was decided to continue the #1000Speak project on a monthly basis, with a different topic each month.]

The “1000 Voices For Compassion “ movement showed just how powerful words and thoughts can be. When everyone chooses to promote a positive thought (whatever it might be), it seems like the world changes around us. In the case of "1000 Voices for Compassion, we literally created an aura of compassion around us. The energy was infectious, and it seemed like the very fabric of social media changed. I've seen it actually happen by accident sometimes on social media; people decide to put up their own words of gratitude or love, and others cannot help but write similar posts. Like I said,the energy is just infectious!  Think about the amazing power we actually have as human beings in this world. We can actually change our space and the world with our thoughts!  (All this before action!!).


I was really touched by all the different posts I read on compassion. What struck me most was how transparent and genuine people were in their writing. Speaking for myself, I struggled with my post. I've gone through many life changes recently and couldn't imagine thinking about another person's suffering. Yet, how could I, a human services worker and counselor at heart, not participate in such an amazing movement?!  Though I found the subject I was most passionate about, writing from a true place, it felt like a challenge. It took me the whole day to write something I was willing to post. Finally, at 11:59 pm on February 19th I posted my #1000speak post. Looking back, I think I was still working on connecting to what compassion really means to me; and, how I personally offer compassion in my daily life.  


Participating in #1000Speak, I became aware that fear often stops me from engaging in compassion. For instance,  we often talk about handing out food or money to the homeless on a city block, but do we really know how safe that is? When I hear people write or speak about that, all I can think is, “How do I really know what would happen nextl? He/she might hurt me the moment I extend my hand?” Do we really know if the person is mentally unstable, hungry, looking for the next hit, cold, lonely, or just manipulating the next passer-by?  Sorry to sound so harsh. I realize that these seem like stereotypical fears, but we live in a world today where we are forced to be on guard. Even when we want to offer compassion, we can't really know for sure if we can trust the situation. So, I sit here feeling kind of hypocritical. I also feel humbled and helpless while I work through, what seems like an impossible inner dilemma.


I imagine my good friend saying that it is my either/or thinking that is keeping me stuck and confused. Maybe she would be right. It might serve me best to acknowledge my fears - seeing the validity in the position - while simultaneously trusting myself to know what situations to trust for compassionate action (and what situations to avoid). This strategy acknowledges that all possibilities could be true and that I can use my Higher senses and intuition to guide me through my life.

Overall, I am grateful today. I am part of a writing community that uses their voices for change. I am loved. I am well-cared for. I have all the basic necessities to get me through. And, I have the potential to live my dreams. With each day I know I’ll be presented with a choice to act compassionately. Then, it becomes more about how I authentically connect with a cause, a person, a situation, and/or stance I’m fighting for or against.

No comments:

Post a Comment