Thursday, June 4, 2015

Setback or Opportunity? A Chance to Embrace Change


This last week the Universe gave me a wake-up call. In the last few weeks, I felt like I had hit a dry spell with my writing. To be fair, one week I had a temporary job that had me waking up at 5:30am and commuting about two hours -one way. As any writer will tell you, however, it is difficult to find your rhythm once you get out of the practice of writing.Then, IT happened. All you need to know is that there was a misunderstanding with my hosting service. This resulted in them removing my entire blog site! I lost everything because I was never warned to backup my writing in anticipation of any changes (I learned my lesson. I will now write everything in my docs before posting!). I was devastated. I have had Aphrodite Blossoming for about 8 months. In that time, I have been a successful networker and contributor to other sites. It is my goal to build a reputation and presence on the Internet. I felt the lump in my throat more than once yesterday.Hubby stated words of encouragement, "Where there are setbacks, there are new opportunities!" He started a new site for me with Blogger. He became very excited when he discovered Blogger had more functionality than WordPress! I began rebuilding my blog. I was forced to think about my blog vision, structure, and audience. This might just be a blessing in disguise. I chose to make lemonade out of lemons.
Some might call the above set of events my bad luck. They may even admonish me for not regularly backing up my work. But, I tend to believe that things happen for a reason. It just so happens I was considering revamping my blog before all this happened!
This experience acted as a reminder to me that all things in this world are impermanent. Even my writing, the one thing I believed could immortalize me (yes, I humbly admit this is one of the reasons I started writing) - can be lost. Change and loss is inevitable. But, where there are endings, there are usually opportunities for new beginnings - for rebirth. Hubby was right. I can seize this opportunity., Change and   I am reminded of the wisdom of Pema Chodron in her book, "When Things Fall Apart:" She says, "Sticking with that uncertainty, getting the knack of relaxing in the midst of chaos, learning not to panic—this is the spiritual path." She also says that one's disappointments may not be the end at all; but, rather, the beginning of a great adventure. This is something I am trying to remember everyday. I would be lying if I said it was easy. But, I am putting forth the effort.

To a New Day, a New Beginning....(and religiously backing up my work!).

No comments:

Post a Comment