Thursday, July 2, 2015

Alicia Keys to the Rescue! How I Conquer My Self-Doubt

(I wrote this on my way to a job interview within the last couple of months.  It is about time I post it!)

I love the Alicia Keys song, "This Girl is On Fire." For those who may not be familiar with the song, it is about a single mother living in a harsh world. She is just trying to make ends meet. The gist of the song is that she may be lonely and isolated, but she knows, deep down, that she is a force to be reckoned with! I encourage all the women reading this blog to go and look up the YouTube video!

I must admit, I listened to the song to boost myself up minutes before appearing on "Dr. Dick's Sex Advice: Sex Advice with an Edge" {Part 1 & Part 2} - my very first time doing a promotional stunt and podcast back when I had a private practice in counseling. A year or two later, I imagined myself doing a sexy dance to it in the middle of my adult social club - a type of "reclaiming my sexuality and inner strength" dance after I went through a rough patch. Unfortunately, that never materialized. I wonder if my confidence would've spiked if I had. One way or the other, this song has always been a "lifestyle" anthem for me. It represented my "coming out;" the owning of this confidence that seemed to come from nowhere; the embracing of this badass chick that I finally realized I was. Only, such feelings are not linear. Life is filled with turns, hills, and, valleys. Self-doubt easily seeps back into daily life. At times, I remember feeling like such an imposter. This is true even when people compliment me today; who? Me? You must be thinking of someone else (when calling me out as a rockstar or kickass writer). But, I know I am not being fair to me. I know I deserve a lot more credit.  I am going to a job interview today. I am listening again to "Girl on Fire."


"I seek strength, not to be greater than another, but to fight my greatest enemy, the doubts within myself."
-P.C. Cast

No comments:

Post a Comment