I've always heard that "Breath is life" - but until recently I didn't get just how much this was true. Something happened when I turned 40-years old. It became more important for me to get balanced, healthy, and all-around centered. For some time, my emotions were/are all over the place. And, for some reason, my go-to negative emotion is anger. Counseling didn't help. In fact, it irritated me more! Then, I discovered the combination of yoga, meditation and ecstatic dance (just think of it as creative movement). This changed everything for me. As you can imagine, deep breathing gave me balance and groundedness. I imagined my breath filling my lungs to full capacity - supporting my body and giving me what I needed to go on. Now, I am grateful for even those moments of angst and confusion; they show me where I get stuck and how I have the capacity to make better choices. My breath gives me life to continually grow; it reminds me that I am a part of the intricate web of all phenomena . This makes me a part of all that is sacred. While I am merely human, and make silly mistakes - I am also part of the divine and can appreciate the breath. Breath gives me life, as well as sustains me with a more Higher sense of compassion.
Breathing to Combat Anxiety
It is humbling to admit, but I am easily flustered. Little things can provoke me: my inability to articulate myself when I am overly tired; the confusion that comes when there are communication issues in my intimate relationships; feeling not listened to when I have something important to say (usually people tell me I have a quiet voice. They are not ignoring me). In the past, I would let my anxiety get the better of me. I would also take things personally. This only made things worse. Now, I remind myself to focus on my breathing. I take in 1-3 breaths and slowly count them. This gives me the ability to pay attention to my reactions and to make more effective choices. I have improved the practice of deep breathing and lessening my anxiety through meditation and my yoga practice. I am so grateful for embracing these practices at this point in my life.
Ultimately, I feel more centered. Likewise, my life partners are more appreciative of the calm, centered, and compassionate person that I am becoming.
There is a line that greatly moved me in a pagan-based song I absolutely love. The song is called "Behold, there is Magic". The verse I love is as follows:
"I am the air, around you. I am the breath of life within you. I am the wind blowing through you. I am all that I am...Behold there is magic all around you. Awaken, rejoice, and sing..."
And, I say...let it be so!
"I am the air, around you. I am the breath of life within you. I am the wind blowing through you. I am all that I am...Behold there is magic all around you. Awaken, rejoice, and sing..."
And, I say...let it be so!
No comments:
Post a Comment