Sunday, December 4, 2016

Toward Living a Life of Purpose (originally posted on Heart&Soul eZine0

lifeofpurposeHow do you want to leave your mark on the world?  Are you conscious about being present for others?  How do you want to be remembered when you die?  These are questions I ask myself all the time.  I started writing, in part, because I wanted to leave behind my personal story.  I have chosen not to have children in this life.  That also means there will be no one to continue my legacy.  All I have are my genuine words and actions in this one, precious life.
How do you define purposeful living, you ask?   Purposeful living is conscious, goal-driven living. That said, it is so much more. When you realize life is short, you cannot help but aspire to leave your mark – to make a difference with your words and actions. Talking about your purpose is very different than talking about your aspirations, achievements, or accomplishments.  Achievements and accomplishments are based on physical goals: that ultimate job, that honorary award.  Purpose, on the other hand, carriers a more spiritual quality to it.  Your purpose is how your soul leaves its mark in life and in death.  When you live with purpose, you choose to open your heart and connect with someone – hopefully giving them some peace of mind after a long, grueling day.  It is offering hope in a seemingly hopeless situation.  It is knowing that you made a profound impact just because you are you; you chose to live from a place of personal truth, honesty, and love.
I think most of us start asking whether we live a life of purpose only when faced with terminal illness,
disabilities, or various other hardships.  At these junctures, we ask, “How will I be remembered,” or “What do I have to do to overcome the odds?”  When faced with life’s challenges, we embrace true humility and explore how we can REALLY make every moment and every breath count.  That is living with purpose.  Until then, there is no need to stop and smell the roses or really think about what it means to be alive.  Until then, our routine keeps us running on autopilot.  This is called the stream of life.  It is necessary in order to survive the hustle and bustle.  The hustle and bustle, though, is the antithesis of purposeful living.
I believe being born with Cerebral Palsy and developing a seizure disorder as a young child, solidified in me how important it was to live with a sense of purpose.  A couple of years ago I celebrated my 36th birthday.  I was overcome with emotion and gratitude when each of my family members gave me a birthday card stating that each viewed me as a person who lived with great purpose. It meant a lot to me.  The things that they admired most about me was my ability to set boundaries, stand by convictions, and have a vision that I never gave up on.  It took many years and a lot of self-work to present myself in this way.  It did not always make me popular – not even with my family members.  In the end, though, it granted me tremendous respect.
Here are some final thoughts related to living with purpose:  only you know your history, hardships, and triumphs.  Honor the path you have walked thus far, as well as the path you continue to travel.  Refuse to let anyone judge you for your values, lifestyle, or choices.  They are yours and are based solely on your life story.  Lastly, the choice to rise beyond doubt and autopilot is all yours.  If you are up for the challenge, be prepared to take personal accountability for your actions and learn what is means to honor your agreements with yourself and others. I assure you, the rewards are greater than the challenges and will offer you a brand new perspective on life!

No comments:

Post a Comment