Thursday, May 5, 2016

Beyond Fifty Shades...

[Disclaimer: For a brief time, I was a writer for "Indie Chicks" magazine. "Indie Chicks" has since closed. On my blog, I am re-introducing my articles that I wrote for them.  If you've read these before, I hope you are inspired, once again. If these are new, I hope they offer you something during your day].

Living in a time where average Joe’s and Jane’s are becoming more aware of Bondage, Discipline, Sadism, Masochism, Dominance and submission (BDSM) is really a double-edged sword. On one hand, more kink-awareness is great. It normalizes what was once deemed “deviant” sexuality, otherwise known as paraphilias. On the other hand, mainstream media glamorizes and distorts the truth of this lifestyle and/or behavior. The mainstream is really only learning the myth of kink. No where was this more illustrated than by the social media hoopla over the upcoming Fifty Shades of Grey movie. Young dudes are talking about “getting lucky” with their girlfriends after watching the film. Girls are talking about “sexy” Christian Grey. It seems like our youth are just trying to live out a “naughty,” sexual fantasy.
I have to stop and remind myself that the Twilight-inspired, fan-fare novel was not supposed to be an informative, realistic guide to exploring kink. On the other hand, I feel like this movie is promoting the concept of young people literally, and figuratively, playing with fire. If you are interested in more than just a sexual fantasy, I encourage you to explore and recognize that kink involves mastery, trust, and communication. If you are sincerely curious to explore this world at all, you will not get any true answers from Hollywood, or teenage fiction. As one who has counseled, educated, and explored kink, I have a some introductory advice and tips on how to delve into this area of sexual exploration.

How to Start Exploring Kink: Connect with Community and Educational Opportunities

The best way to learn anything new is to become an expert. In terms of kink, there is no better way to become an expert other than immersing yourself in the community. What are some ways you might do this? I suggest starting by attending an introductory kink workshop or community tasting. Workshops are self-explanatory. Tastings are essentially sampler events that offer you the ability to sample different types of kinks. An example of some kinks include flogging, whipping, and/or paddling. Usually, an expert stands at each station to offer advice and guidance. One way or the other, you get to “taste” what you do/do not like. In terms of workshops, you may go to resources to find workshop listings that you are interested in. In the event you live an area that does not have kink community events, I encourage you to connect with other kinksters through munchies (social meet-ups for those who enjoy kink) and other social engagements. Start with a simple Google search for munchies in your area. Progress from there. Friendship, mentorship, and guidance go a long way in this type of exploration.

Learn Through Reading and Trustworthy Sources

Reading is a great way to become educated in kink. Read introductory books by well-established professionals. I highly recommend anything written by Tristan Taormino, a well-known sex educator. If you are not into reading, you can turn to the numeroussex-positive podcasts out there. Ultimately, don’t be afraid to seek out and absorb all the information you can on the subject.

Get a Kink Coach

A kink coach is like a lifestyle coach. The only difference is he/she guides you in how to add kink into your sex life. A coach can assess your level and needs. He/she can make sound suggestions. He/she is a facilitator, advocate, guide, and friend. He/she may also go shopping with you to buy sexy lingerie. Likewise, He/she may also offer you ways to spice up your foreplay, create more romance, role-play, or create a safe, consensual scene that you may both enjoy. These are only a couple of examples of what a coach might do while working with you.

Wrap-Up

This is only a foundation. Once you get more involved and know what you like you will be able to create the type of space and scenario you want. You’ll be better equipped to talk about things such as mutual consent, safety (with degree of risk), boundaries, and power roles. It can be very empowering to embrace alternative sexuality. I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to have honest, upfront, and open communication throughout this process.
As you can plainly see, I’m an advocate of learning through reading, community engagement, networking, and submerging (oneself). I encourage people to seek our credible mentors, role models, and sponsors (yes, even as it relates to my personal life) to guide and endorse you as you travel along the path of self-discovery. Perhaps, this is why media hype irks me so much; it is just hype. It does not offer any true value to anyone who genuinely wants to grow and engage in self-discovery. You should have state-of-the-art information and amazing support on your journey to finding that awesome inner kinkster.

Additional Resources and Links

If exploring kink interests you, I suggest moving beyond my very introductory description and gathering more great resources!
Here are two books by Tristan Taormino I’d highly recommend:
  • “The Ultimate Guide to Kink: BDSM, Role-Play, and the Erotic Edge”
  • “50 Shades of Kink: An Introduction to BDSM”


No comments:

Post a Comment