[Disclaimer: For a brief time, I was a writer for "Indie Chicks" magazine. "Indie Chicks" has since closed. On my blog, I am re-introducing my articles that I wrote for them. If you've read these before, I hope you are inspired, once again. If these are new, I hope they offer you something during your day].
I spent what felt like an eternity just trying to get a well-constructed, knowledge-based definition of sex-positivity on the Internet! I wanted to find a well-established, validated definition for my personal blog, among other things. There are tons of opinions out there. But, where do you go when you are not looking for opinions? The closest definition to my personal truth came from Seattle’s Center for Sex Positive Culture. Suffice to say, I was quite frustrated. Likewise, I was dismayed to learn that sex-positivity is still a very young, misunderstood topic. But, my discussion on those thoughts will have to wait for a different blog. My experience made me think about how easy it is to get pulled into the world of the Internet and blindly believe anything and everything you read.
I spent what felt like an eternity just trying to get a well-constructed, knowledge-based definition of sex-positivity on the Internet! I wanted to find a well-established, validated definition for my personal blog, among other things. There are tons of opinions out there. But, where do you go when you are not looking for opinions? The closest definition to my personal truth came from Seattle’s Center for Sex Positive Culture. Suffice to say, I was quite frustrated. Likewise, I was dismayed to learn that sex-positivity is still a very young, misunderstood topic. But, my discussion on those thoughts will have to wait for a different blog. My experience made me think about how easy it is to get pulled into the world of the Internet and blindly believe anything and everything you read.
We live in a world where we have access to information just by searching a few terms in Google Search. Unfortunately, the word, “information” has expanded to mean opinions, rants, bullying, AND well-researched information. Some writers are so clever in their writing style that you cannot tell the difference between well-researched information and garbage. Yet, most of us take the information we find on the Internet as fact – regardless of its source. So, here is my constructive criticism: For writers: make it clear to us readers that you are writing your opinion. For readers, be well-informed consumers of information and ask questions. Readers – if you know and want to read an opinion piece, awesome! On the other hand, if you want to be well-informed, be aware that you might have to do more research. Be your smart self and don’t believe everything you read.
So, how exactly DO you navigate the Internet when you may/may not validate your sources? Here are a few tips. I am learning them along with you:
Stay Informed, the Right Way
What Are You Reading?
What is your purpose in reading the material in the first place? It makes a difference what you are reading and what you hope to get it out of it. Is it a blog? What kind? Is the article from a well-known publisher, author, reporter, magazine, or book? What are the author’s credentials? Who endorses the author? Are you looking to chill out with the latest gossip magazine? Do you want to get tips on healthy lifestyles? Are you wanting to educate yourself on where to find highly recommended doctors and clinics for you and your family? As you can imagine, knowing the author’s credentials and reputation is only important to the extent that you are looking to educate and inform yourself.
The Problem with Blogs
I love blogs. I write a personal blog myself. Unfortunately, many blogs are not credible sources. Obviously personal blogs are based on the author’s personal experiences, thoughts, and opinions. Less obvious, News blogs may also be based, in part, on an author’s biases. Lastly, professionals in their respective fields even have their biases and personal perspectives. So, Dr. X’s tips on healthy eating or Dr. Y’s tips on relationship coaching may or may not work for you and your lifestyle. My point: Just be aware of these things when you are reading blogs. Take what seems helpful and leave the rest.
Real-Life Endorsements and Referrals May Be Better
While researching on a particular situation or topic, asking for recommendations or referrals from a real person in the community who is well-educated in that area that you are researching is ten times better than blindly searching Google. If such a person is a close friend or acquaintance, all the better. Meet for lunch. Bring up your needs or questions. Ask for advice. Nothing is better than real-life networking.
Trust Your Badass Intuition
I am going to assume that you have an awesome head on your shoulders. Your Higher Self is consciously and subconsciously giving you ongoing signs about your environment. Listen to your intuition. If something doesn’t feel right, it probably is not. Likewise, you know what is right for you. The advice you are reading about may be helpful for someone else but not for you. That’s okay. Look for those materials that help you in your life and align with your body, mind, and Spirit.
Wrap-Up
Recently, my husband tried to warn me about news blogs. He said, “They will appear like well-validated newscasts. But, they are full of the reporter’s opinions.” I couldn’t believe that a blog that was just supposed to be reporting news in a particular area could be so biased and opinionated. But, I have spent enough time in the blogging world and on the Internet in general to see what he was talking about. Again, I want to emphasize how important it is to know yourself, your source, and ask questions. It is not enough to just have streets-smarts on the street anymore. You have to have streets-smarts as you navigate the Internet, as well as all the physical sources of information out there. It is just one more way you respect and honor your intelligence, agency, and freedom to choose.
No comments:
Post a Comment